Thursday, 4 September 2014

Ready for IVF!

Today we had our final compulsary appointment at the fertility centre prior to beginning treatment. At the last appointment we had seen the counsellor and I had loads of bloods taken, so today was a chance to get those blood results back, discuss them with the consultant, and discuss the procedure of IVF in more detail.

Firstly, we discussed my blood results. They obviously screen you for all major sexually inherited diseases such as HIV, Hep B and C etc, which we had already assumed were negative, and they were! Full genetic karyotyping showed I have a normal chromosonal make up, and I am not a carrier for cystic fibrosis. My hormone results showed my AMH (the hormone released by immature eggs) was slightly high at 57, exactly half of Sarah's results, and the reason why we couldn't use her eggs. This puts me in the group classed as 'optimal fertility', but means that for the sake of IVF, I am at small risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, meaning they will give me less amounts of drugs as they think I will produce eggs quite easily. So all very normal and nothing really to discuss. The only thing we did spend a little while discussing was the fact that I am CMV Neg (cytomegalavirus negative), meaning I have never been exposed to the virus. To try to ensure that the baby wouldn't be affected, I need to be matched with a CMV Neg sperm donor, which might limit our options a little as about 65 - 70% of people (including Sarah) have had the virus at some point in their lives, usually in childhood. 

Next we discussed the process of IVF. Once we have been matched to a sperm donor, I will contact the clinic on day 1 of my period, and will then begin daily injections for around two weeks, then the eggs will be collected, fertilised with our donor sperm, and put back into the womb. We have given basic descriptions of this process in previous posts, but will go into detail when we are undertaking the treatment.

And so we are officially signed off as ready to begin treatment, we are just waiting for a sperm donor! The process seems to have gone really quickly, and taken forever all at the same time, and having heard others experiences, we have realised how different this journey is for every couple that undertakes it. We have been surprisingly successful in our plan to remain calm and enjoy every step of the process - a lot of decisions have been very simple for us - there has never been any question that I will carry all our children (although we originally planned to use Sarah's eggs, once we couldn't, it didn't cause problems), we have been quite laid back in our requirements of a donor, and have decided who will be the main carer of the child and how much we will go to work. I will have 6-9 months off work maternity leave (although as widely reported, parents are now able to split maternity leave, there would be no point us doing this until I am at the smp only stage as I earn more than Sarah) then go back to work full time. As Sarah already works part time there will be little change to her job, although she will work less hours, and compact them into a couple of days per week, unless she has 6 months off with smp.

We have had our baby names chosen for years (our boy name was chosen over six years ago!) and we are pretty set on the kind of parents we will be. We've thought about the pregnancy, the birth, the nursery, our child's future…we try to save these thoughts for when I am pregnant, but it's hard to not think about something so excited and anticipated.
It seems we've had everything planned out for this baby for a while….now it just needs to get here!

3 comments:

  1. This is so exciting!! Best of luck to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this! Happy for y'all! Can I ask why you decided to move straight to IVF instead of doing inseminations like IUI? I've had 3 failed IUI so far - all unmedicated. The doctors want my next cycle to be medicated with femara. I'm really hoping it works the next time. My insurance doesn't cover any of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment!
      We originally looked into IVF as Sarah can't carry a child, so we were going to use her eggs with Lauren carrying, but have since found out we can't use Sarah's eggs either.
      We have looked into IUI but are unsure due to low success rates - the increase in cost for IVF isn't huge compared to IUI but has much higher success rates.
      We don't get any fertility treatment funded but didn't expect to (the UK NHS funds IVf but only for couples who have fertility/medical problems)
      Good luck with your next cycle :)

      Sarah & Lauren x

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love hearing others experiences, or just if you liked the post!