Saturday, 8 August 2015

Post Egg collection - Days 3-5

I woke up early this morning with a very familiar pain in my tummy, "my period's coming", I thought as I rolled over and fell back to sleep. When I woke up again and felt it there again, ebbing and flowing in that delightful way period pain does, I suddenly realised what this meant. They told us I needed two periods before an embryo transfer could take place. And this one is the first one! It's here! Aside from the one that signalled we were commencing our first IVF cycle, I don't know that I've ever been so happy to see Aunt Flo!!

Reading our post from two days ago I can't believe how much we have changed our focus and energies already. Day 3 (Tuesday) was a typical day in the 'getting over OHSS' household. Sarah went to work, I stayed home with Willow, lay on the sofa, felt very sad about the events of the weekend, tried my hardest not to, read my book, drank peppermint tea, and about 10:30 the clinic phoned with our embryo's stats for the day. They were doing well!

6 cell grade 1
6 cell grade 2
7 cell grade 3

I was concerned that the larger one from the day before had dropped down a grade, but the embryologist said not to worry, it's quite common, it means it's become irregular in shape and slightly more fragmented. He wanted to remind me that only 50% of embryos make it to day 5 blastocyst stage, and that if he was a betting man, he would hope that the grade 1 and 2 would make it. Honestly, we are just happy if one does. 

By the afternoon I have to confess I was pretty fed up of doing nothing. I was starting to yearn for life to return to normal - it's hard to focus so much on the one thing you have absolutely no control over. Funnily enough Sarah was feeling the same, and unbeknown to me, had already planned a couple of things to take our mind of this whole IVF stuff. She bought home with her a couple of tins of paint, a few new decorations, a new kettle and toaster and a beautiful new candle (how she managed all of that on the bus I'll never know!). Oh and a little box of chocolates for us to enjoy afterwards! She had decided we would decorate and re-arrange the kitchen! I wasn't able to do much of it, but I'd like to think I was a good assistant, and tea maker, and we spent the afternoon in the kitchen, painting and talking and laughing and feeling much more like our old selves. The ones who weren't talking about nothing more than the three embryos we have in a dish in Nottingham!

        



Yesterday was peaceful. We knew we wouldn't be receiving an update call from the clinic, which in a lot of ways made the day much easier, as we both find we are quite anxious prior to them phoning. I have arranged to go back to work next week, we met for lunch, we walked round the shops, we subjected Willow to a hair cut... and we watched Pretty Little Liars, like we do every Wednesday! It was the day that I started to feel like I wasn't ill anymore, and it's the day that we started to look forward to the coming months.
I also received another bunch of flowers in the post from my lovely wife, this time with a box of chocolates! Yep, I'm very lucky (and a little bit spoilt!)




So that brings us back to today! The day that was supposed to be embryo transfer day. I expected to feel very sad that it couldn't be, but instead I feel very happy to be able to spend a little more time just the two of us, and a little more time preparing for the transfer that will hopefully happen next month. We had our update call from the clinic to say that all three embryos have reached blastocyst stage! At the moment one is definitely good enough quality to be frozen, and they won't be sure about the the other two until tomorrow. We are so incredibly excited that all three fertilised, then made it to blastocyst, and at least one will be frozen ready for transfer!

Which definitely calls for celebration!
So we have booked to go away to the Cotswolds for a couple of nights, leaving this afternoon. It was originally booked thinking that this would give us the chance to chill out and relax following embryo transfer, but instead we it will be a huge celebration rather than a recovery! After the eventful week filled with every kind of emotion (bad and very good) it will be wonderful to have a break away from it all, just the two of us. Oh, and we suppose Willow can come too!

Click to contact us!

1 comment:

  1. Hi girls! I've been keeping up with your blog while I've been away but it's not been so easy to comment while on the road! I was really sorry to hear about the hiccup, it's horrible when it doesn't go as planned, it made me sad to read ... however you sound much more positive in this post. I think I know how you feel, when you are so bogged down with the intricacies of IVF, and then something happens to halt it, it forces you to relax out of it and you feel a weight lift off your shoulders. It forces you to take head space back for yourself. I hope you're having a wonderful time together in the countryside!!

    I also wanted to add that I read your entry, about the number of eggs you had fertilise, to my wife. She said it has been a great comfort to her to know that you can have such a positive outcome when initially you had the disappointment of not as many eggs as you'd hoped. I think the egg/embryo numbers are currently her biggest worry. Enjoy the next month or so, I have everything crossed for you both.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, we love hearing others experiences, or just if you liked the post!